General practices are assessed for accreditation against the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP) Standards for General Practices.
Adhering to the RACGP Standards provides a template for quality care and risk management and provides a framework for the continuing development within a practice.
Benefits of Accreditation
- Improve patient safety and overall health outcomes
- Reduce risk in practice
- Improve practice efficiency
- Improve practice environment
- Access to financial incentives for general practice – PIPs & SIPs
- Practice actively engages members of the practice team in establishing quality systems and processes
- Can help to build a culture of quality within a general practice
- Helps to promote quality and safety in the services accredited practices provide
How to access accreditation support
For assistance and support with accreditation, contact Practice Support Team on (02) 6287 8099.
RACGP Links and Resources
- The 5th Edition Standards
- Infection prevention and control standards 5th Edition
- Quality health records in Australian primary healthcare
- Managing emergencies and pandemics in general practice
- Taking care of yourself during an emergency or pandemic patient information sheet
- Computer and information security standards
- Computer and information security templates
- Standards for health services in Australian prisons (1st Edition)
There are two accreditation bodies for general practice.
AGPAL – Australian General Practices Accreditation Limited
Level 1, 65 Park Road (PO Box 2058) MILTON QLD 4064
Ph: 1300 362 111
Fax: 1300 362 110
Email: info [at] qip.com.au
GPA - Accreditation Plus
136 Mount Street (PO Box 83) GUNDAGAI NSW 2722
Ph: 1800 188 088
Fax: 1800 644 807
Email: info [at] gpa.net.au