Mental health problems and mental illness are common and the social and economic impacts of mental ill health are significant. People living with mental illness are at greater risk of adverse health outcomes compared to the general population.
Capital Health Network (CHN), through the ACT PHN Program, has adopted a stepped-care approach to the commissioning of mental health services to the ACT region and works in partnership with the mental health services sector to deliver a range of services that meet areas of identified need in the ACT.
Mental Health Services
Mental health services contracted include:
- Stepped care – Next Step
- Services for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- Suicide prevention
- Child and youth specific services
- Services for people with severe and complex needs
- Services for underserviced groups
- Psychosocial supports.
Access to PHN-funded Mental Health services is free to people living or working in the ACT. For further information or referral to PHN-funded Mental Health services, please contact our contracted service providers directly as listed below
- CatholicCare – Next Step Psychological Intervention Services
A free stepped care program for people experiencing mild, moderate and severe mental health issues. Provides high and low intensity services to adults, youth (12 – 25 years), children (under 12 years) and Residential Aged Care Facilities (RACFs).
Phone: (02) 6162 6111
- CatholicCare – Stepping Stones Trauma Informed Care Services
Multidisciplinary trauma informed services for children aged under 12 years who have experienced trauma, including family violence and other adverse childhood experiences.
Phone: (02) 6162 6111
- Directions Health Services Limited – Alongside Commonwealth Psychosocial Support Services
Psychosocial support for people with severe mental illness and experiencing comorbid and trimorbid issues (with dual diagnosis of mental health, substance use and/or physical health issues) who do not have access to the NDIS or other capacity building supports.
Phone: (02) 6132 4800
- Flourish Australia – Bloom Healthy Living Commonwealth Psychosocial Support Services
Non-clinical community-based psychosocial support for people aged 18 – 64 years with severe mental illness and associated psychosocial functional impairment who are not supported through the NDIS.
Phone: 1300 779 270
- Grand Pacific Health – Headspace Canberra and Tuggeranong
Early intervention mental health services for young people aged 12 – 25 years with mental health concerns, including those with associated physical health or drug and alcohol issues.
Phone Canberra (02) 6113 5700 / Tuggeranong (02) 6298 2920
- Meridian Incorporated – Inclusive Pathways Psychological Therapies Targeting Priority Populations
Supporting the LGBTIQA+ community through the provision of culturally appropriate mental health services for those aged 16 years and over.
Phone: (02) 6257 2855
- Stride Mental Health Services – Safe Haven
The community safe haven café is a non-clinical, safe place that people aged 16 years and over seeking connection and support can go to if they are experiencing emotional distress, mental health concerns, isolation and loneliness.
Phone: 1300 00 1907
- Think Mental Health Pty Ltd – Head to Health
The Canberra Head to Health Centres provide free mental health support for adult Canberrans without the need for a referral or appointment. Support is available for people experiencing distress or mental ill health as well as their family and friends.
Phone: 1800 595 212
- Think Mental Health Pty Ltd – Early Intervention For Disordered Eating Program
Service supporting people experiencing disordered eating or at risk of developing an eating disorder is available through Canberra Head to Health Centre.
Phone: 1800 595 212
- University Of Canberra – WOKE
Early intervention service for mood regulation in emerging adults (15 – 21 years) at a high risk of Borderline Personality Disorder.
Phone: (02) 6201 5843
- Woden Community Service – New Path Commonwealth Psychosocial Support Services
Non-clinical community-based psychosocial support for people aged 18 – 64 years (targeting 18 – 34 years) with severe mental illness and associated psychosocial functional impairment who are not supported through the NDIS.
Phone: (02) 6282 2644
- Woden Community Service – The Way Back Support Service
Non-clinical psychosocial support service providing assertive outreach, follow up care and practical support to an individual following a Suicidal attempt.
Phone: 1800 929 222
Emergency or Crisis Services
The PHN-funded programs do not provide emergency or crisis services. If you are experiencing a mental health crisis please call the ACT Health Access Mental Health on 1800 629 354 or (02) 6205 1065 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week).
Helplines and Online Support Services
- Head to Health Popup ph. 1800 595 212
- Head to Health ph. 1800 595 212
- Access Mental Health Team ph. 1800 629 354
- Lifeline 24/7 Crisis Line ph. 13 11 14
- Kids Help 24/7 Support Line ph. 1800 551 800
- Mensline 24/7 Support Line ph. 1300 789 978
- Suicide Call Back Service 24/7 Support ph. 1300 659 467
- QLife Counselling and referral service for LGBTI people 3pm-12am ph. 1800 184 527
- Alcohol and Drug Consultation and Liaison Service, Canberra Health Services 24/7 Helpline ph. (02) 5124 9977
- Domestic Violence Crisis Service 24/7 Crisis Line ph. (02) 6280 0900
- Beyond Blue 24/7 Support Service ph. 1300 224 636
- Black Dog Institute ph. (02) 9382 2991
- Mindspot Clinic ph. 1800 614 434
- SANE Australia ph. 1800 187 263
Click here to download a PDF document listing CHN’s Commissioned Services