Resource for General Practitioners:
Older Australians are at greater risk of more serious illness from COVID-19 but may have less access to information. They may also be more vulnerable to the social implications associated with COVID-19 restrictions including difficulty accessing essential services, isolation and loneliness.
Supports available to assist older Australians:
- The Australian Government Department of Health’s Older Persons COVID-19 Support Line which can provide information and support on a range of issues. Older adults, their family or carers can call 1800‑171‑866 between 8:30am to 6:00pm AEST on weekdays.
- Assistance with food and meals including prepared meals and prioritised online grocery ordering which can be arranged through My Aged Care.
- Companionship and connection with others via services like the Community Visitors Scheme and FriendLine.
For more information, see Australian Government Department of Health – Coronavirus (COVID-19) Advice for Older People.
Patient resources to assist older Australians and carers:
- Videos for patients, carers and healthcare workers from Dementia Australia
- Information for carers during COVID-19 – COVID-19 Resources for Carers
- Australian Government Department of Health Fact Sheet: For Older Australians on COVID‑19
Clinical resources – COVID-19 and Older Australians and COVID-19 Residential Aged Cared Facilities:
- Communicable Disease Network Australia (CDNA) National Guidelines for the Prevention, Control and Public Health Management of COVID-19 Outbreaks in Residential Care Facilities
- ACT Health Advice for staff and operators of aged care facilities
- (COVID-19) Information for Health Care and Residential Care Workers
- (COVID-19) Information for Workers in Residential Aged Care Facilities
- (COVID-19) Information on Work Attendance and Testing for Health and Residential Aged Care Workers
- British Medical Journal – Coronavirus and Older People
- Clinical Excellence Commission Infection Prevention and Control Guidance for Aged and Residential Care
- Journal of Geriatric Emergency Medicine – COVID-19 in Older Adults: Transfers between Nursing Homes and Hospitals
- National COVID-19 Clinical Evidence Taskforce – Caring for People with COVID-19
- DoH COVID-19 vaccine aged care readiness tookit – COVID-19 vaccine aged care readiness toolkit
- DoH COVID-19 vaccination – How workers in residential aged care can get a COVID-19 vaccination – COVID-19 vaccination – How workers in residential aged care can get a COVID-19 vaccination | Australian Government Department of Health
- DoH New Reporting requirements for aged care – COVID-19 vaccination – Guidance for residential aged care providers on reporting of COVID-19 vaccinations of the workforce
Digital Health (digitalhealth.gov.au)
- Clinician Vaccine Integrated Platform (Used to manage vaccinations and report vaccination information to the Australian Immunisation Register (AIR). It can be used by recognised vaccination providers who do not already have clinical software that reports to the AIR. This may include medical practitioners, pharmacists, nurses and midwives)
- Clinician Vaccine Integrated Platform Log-in Portal
Allied health services in Residential Aged Care Facilities
ACT & SNSW HealthPathways:
For further information on COVID-19 Assessment and Management in Residential Aged Care and Impacts on Clinical Care see the COVID-19 Assessment and Management in Residential Aged Care, the COVID-19 Impact on Clinical Care and the Issuing a Medical Certificate of Cause of Death – ACT pathways.