Advance Care Planning (ACP) is the process of a person planning and communicating their preferences regarding their future health and personal care in the event they experience a permanent or temporary lack of decision-making capacity.
ACP offers people the opportunity to discuss these decisions in a supported environment where a person’s own goals, values and personal views and choices regarding their care are taken into consideration.
Capital Health Network, in partnership with the Respecting Patient Choices® team from ACT Health, have developed a communication campaign – Be My Voice - to increase community awareness and uptake of ACP’s within the ACT.
The Respecting patient Choices® (RPC) program provides a quality assured system of discussing, recording and documenting a patient’s preferences for their future health care, in preparation for a time when they might not be able to competently contribute to their end-of-life decisions.
- Be My Voice – The Be My Voice campaign encourages families and friends to initiate conversations with their loved ones about their values and wishes around future health care. All information provided is ACT-specific.
- Enduring Power of Attorney (EPOA) information is concise in the Power to choose booklet.
- Advance Care Planning Program, Quality and Safety Unit - located at the Canberra Hospital, the unit provides access to trained ACP facilitators that can assist with completing the documents or introducing the subject with your family – ph. 5124 9274.
- My Health Record - How to upload your ACP document to your My Health Record.
- Advance Care Planning Australia - A national program that provides information and resources to individuals, care workers and health care professionals to improve this cooperation.
- ACP talk - for sensitive religious and cultural advance care planning.
- Start2talk.org.au – An Alzheimer’s Australia national initiative to help people and their families plan ahead for their future financial and health care decisions.
- RACGP Position Statement on Advance Care Planning